A Handy Bed Bug Prevention Guide For Oklahoma City, OK Homes
September 17, 2021
When you hear the words “bed bugs,” you might picture a dirty home. You’re not alone in this thinking. It is a common misconception that bed bugs only happen to dirty homes, but the truth is, bed bugs can happen to anyone, even homes that are kept spotless.
Because of this, as an Oklahoma City resident, you should know how bed bug infestations start, things you can do to prevent them, and how the professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma can help.
How Bed Bug Infestations Start
Bed bugs are small external parasites that rely on a host to survive. They are commonly brought into homes or businesses being carried in by an unsuspecting person. This means if you have a bed bug infection or have had one in the past, chances are you carried the pest in yourself. But don’t beat yourself up about that; it can happen to anyone. Here are the most common ways bed bugs get in:
- On secondhand items such as furniture, clothing, and appliances
- In your suitcase after traveling or staying at a hotel
- On your belongings or person after taking public transportation
- Hitching a ride from public places such as schools, stores, office buildings, restaurants, theaters, and more
Bed bugs can also travel through multiple units in apartment or condo complexes, which means it may not be your fault after all if you live in one of these locations. But this also means you have even less control over an infestation. So you should do all you can to try and prevent them from catching a ride in with you.
How To Prevent Picking Up Bed Bugs
Because bed bugs get into homes, you need to be mindful about what you do when in “hot spots. To prevent picking up bed bugs, you should do the following:
- Be mindful of where you place your belongings when out in public spaces such as restaurants, theaters, and transportation.
- Inspect your hotel room before putting your belongings down. Always use a luggage rack, but not before inspecting it because they can be bed bug hot spots. And never put your items on the floor in hotel rooms.
- Avoid secondhand furniture, clothing, and appliances if you can. If you bring these items into your home, you should thoroughly inspect all crevices and clean all items. Using a magnifying glass during this process can be very beneficial to find staining, eggs, or shed skin.
- Keep dirty clothes separated from clean clothes.
Even though you do everything right, bed bugs might still find a way into your home. If this does happen, you shouldn’t try to get rid of them on your own, but instead should contact professionals right away.
How Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma Can Help
Bed bug prevention can never be 100%; that is just the nature of these pests. If you do get bed bugs in your home, you should contact the professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma right away. The last thing you want to do is let bed bugs take over your property, and the longer you wait to do something about them, the more they will reproduce. Between rapid reproduction and being able to go months without eating, bed bugs are a tricky pest to do with.
When it comes to bed bugs, you won’t be able to eradicate them on your own. So, don’t wait; call us at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma today! Our experts will safely handle your bed bug infestation with eco-friendly products and help you customize a plan for your pest control needs.