Eight Simple Spider Control Tips For Oklahoma City Homes
August 1, 2021
Whether you catch them scurrying across the floor or spinning webs in the corner, spiders aren’t a welcome sight for Oklahoma City homeowners. The good news is that most spiders in Oklahoma City aren’t poisonous, but some of them can still bite.
And, even if most species aren’t dangerous, that doesn’t mean you want them hanging around. Here’s what you should know about the types of spiders you may see in your home, how to prevent them and the best way to deal with a spider infestation.
What Types Of Spiders Does Oklahoma City Have?
There are various types of spiders you’ll encounter in Oklahoma City, including:
- Spotted Orb Weaver Spider: You may find them hanging around your gardens or backyard, but these spiders spin unique webs and don’t pose a safety risk.
- Brown Recluse Spider: Usually identified by the dark brown violin-shaped spot on their cephalothorax, brown recluse spiders aren’t aggressive, but their bite can lead to dangerous tissue damage.
- Southern House Spider: While they may get mistaken for the brown recluse, southern house spiders don’t pose any health risks and help limit other insect populations.
- Carolina Wolf Spider: While their bite may feel like a bee sting, Carolina wolf spiders are incredible hunters who rarely bite humans.
- Rabid Wolf Spider: Not usually a danger to humans, rabid wolf spiders prefer to hunt their prey outdoors.
- Southern Black Widow Spider: Black widows produce a painful bite, and they’ve also got a potent venom that requires immediate medical treatment. You can identify a black widow by the red hourglass shape on their abdomens.
- Bold Jumping Spider: Bold jumping spiders may be one of the smallest spiders you’ll encounter in Oklahoma. They’ve got a powerful hop, and rarely pose a threat to humans.
Most of the time, spiders like the ones listed above come into your home because they’re following prey. Too many spiders hanging around could signal another pest problem.
How To Prevent Spiders In Oklahoma City
Spiders, regardless of the type, aren’t a welcome sight, and there are a few preventative steps you can take to keep them away:
- Regularly clean up the clutter that spiders may use as hiding spots.
- Seal up entry points that spiders may use to get inside your home, like crevices, cracks, or gaps near doors and windows.
- Minimize outdoor lighting during the night, which may draw moths and other prime spider prey.
- Don’t leave open sources of food out, which may draw other pests into your home.
- Sweep away cobwebs as you discover them.
- Keep your firewood at least twenty feet away from your home.
- Inspect any yard debris for spiders before you bring it inside.
- Address excess moisture issues around your property, like flooded gutters or leaky pipes.
These tips will help deter spiders around your property but will likely not be enough to eliminate an existing infestation.
The Most Effective Form Of Spider Control In Oklahoma City
The most effective form of spider control for Oklahoma City is a professional one, and that starts with us at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma. If you need help identifying the spider that’s invaded your home or suspect you’ve got an infestation on your property, you shouldn’t wait – call us at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma to learn more about how we can help.