Five Easy-To-Spot Signs Of Termites On Your Oklahoma City Property
February 12, 2021
Did you know that termites are one of the most destructive pests in Oklahoma City? In fact, when looking at the cost of damage repairs, termites are the pest that causes the most significant property damage. An infestation of termites can cost homeowners an average of $3,000, and this number can be much higher if the infestation is left unchecked.
Termites eat through the wood as they extract nutrients from the cellulose fibers inside of wooden structures. Because of this, they can damage all kinds of items as they tunnel through and build their nests including things like floorboards, furniture, decks, and support beams.
What Do Termites Look Like?
The other reason why termites can be so damaging is that they can often go unnoticed for months or even years. They tend to stay out of sight inside walls or under floors, and it can be difficult to identify termites in the early stages of an infestation.
However, while there are other signs of termite activity you’re likely to notice before seeing one of the termites themselves, it’s still useful to know what they look like. The worker and soldier termites are a cream color and don’t have wings. The termite swarmers, which are responsible for reproduction, are dark brown to black and look like winged ants. You are most likely to see the swarmers as they will leave the nest during mating season to start new colonies.
Five Signs You Have Termites
While you might see a termite swarmer, there are other signs you should be aware of that are far more common. These signs will grow more noticeable as the infestation grows and worsens, but knowing what they are can help you identify and remove the infestation more quickly.
Here are the five easiest ways to spot termites around your home or business:
- Clicking noises coming from inside of walls
- Door and windows that are fitting tightly in their frames
- Floorboards that are squeaking and buckling
- Seeing frass next to walls. Frass looks like small pellets and is a mix of termite droppings and sawdust.
- Walls and wallpaper having what looks like water damage even when there is no indication of a moisture problem
How To Prevent Termites
If you don’t have any signs of termite activity around your property, now is the time to take preventive measures. While termites can be a difficult pest to prevent, there are things you can do to reduce the risk, such as:
- Installing a barrier between the soil and the foundation of your home.
- Reducing moisture issues because termites are attracted to humidity. You can do this by using dehumidifiers and fixing leaky plumbing.
- Removing any water-damaged or decaying wood from your home and yard.
- Storing firewood at least 30 feet away from the home in a dry area.
What To Do If You See Termites
If you already have termites or want to prevent them in the future, the best way to do so is by contacting the experts at Guaranteed Pest Service Of Oklahoma.
Trying to control termites on your own is rarely effective and will just waste your precious time and money. So, instead, let our residential and commercial pest control professionals handle the problem and keep your property termite-free. Call us at 405-341-7268 to request a quote and get started.