Five Plants That Keep Oklahoma City Mosquitoes Away
September 14, 2021
Mosquitoes are one of the most hated pests in Oklahoma City, and it’s not hard to see why. These flying insects have the ability to suck blood from human and animal hosts, and they leave behind itchy marks that can annoy us for days. However, mosquitoes aren’t just a nuisance, they are also the deadliest animal on the planet.
Mosquitoes can spread many deadly illnesses including malaria, West Nile virus, yellow fever, and Zika virus. They are estimated to cause around one million deaths per year.
Because mosquitos are so dangerous and also annoying, people are often looking for ways to deter them, using both pesticides as well as more natural methods. To help you keep mosquitoes away, we’ve provided a guide on the best plants you can put around your property in order to prevent these pests.
What Do Mosquitoes Look Like?
To start with, you can identify mosquitoes by their slim body shape and their dangling, long legs. They are usually a grayish color but their exact markings and coloring can vary. Overall, the best way to identify mosquitoes is by the needle-like appendage they have on their faces known as a proboscis. This is what they use to drink nectar and blood.
Five Mosquito-Repelling Plants
While professional services are the best way to keep mosquitoes away, landscaping can also help. To start with, you should remove standing water from your property as this is where mosquitoes lay their eggs. You should also make sure to keep hot tubs and pools cleaned and use cycled water. Next, you should keep your yard trimmed and maintained as mosquitoes will rest in the shade of leaves during the day.
Lastly, you can plant certain varieties of vegetation around your home or business to help deter them, such as:
- Lemongrass: This grassy plant looks great in all styles of landscaping because it blends in well, and it also has a pleasant smell that humans enjoy but that mosquitoes do not.
- Eucalyptus Trees: These trees are also beautiful to look at with distinct bluish-green leaves. And, eucalyptus is often used in aromatherapy and a favorite scent for many people, so it’s a great addition to have in your yard in general.
- Phenomenal Lavender: This flowering plant is beautiful to look at with its purple flowers, so you can enjoy the scent as well as the aesthetics. Plus, mosquitoes tend to avoid this plant.
- Citronella: Most people automatically think of this when looking to repel mosquitoes. And, while you can buy citronella candles and torches, you can also plant the shrub to get long-lasting mosquito repellent properties.
- Garlic: Many people love garlic while others aren’t a big fan of the strong smell. However, this intense aroma is precisely why mosquitoes can’t stand it. And, if you do enjoy cooking, having fresh garlic is a great ingredient to keep around.
Mindful planting can go a long way towards deterring mosquitoes but keep in mind that it will not eliminate them completely.
The Best Overall Way To Prevent Mosquitoes
While you can take steps on your own to keep mosquitoes from coming around your Oklahoma City yard, they are still a rather difficult pest to deter using DIY methods. The most effective way to protect yourself from these dangerous pests is with assistance from Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma.
We have nearly 50 years of combined experience, and we offer reliable mosquito prevention services. Give us a call today to request your free estimate and get started protecting your property.