Four Quick And Easy Scorpion Control Tips For Oklahoma City, OK Properties
September 3, 2021
You may not know this, but scorpions are arachnids, meaning they are related to spiders. This might explain why scorpions are so unsettling.
There are a few species of scorpions that can be found in the Oklahoma City area. However, the most common is the bark scorpion, which should be avoided due to the dangers they pose to humans. Bark scorpions are:
- Up to 3 inches long
- Light brown to brownish-yellow with dark band-like markings across its body
The bark scorpion is the only species in the United States known to be dangerous enough to cause problems for people. Their venom is injected into a victim through their bulbous stinger located at the tip of their tail. A sting from one of these insects can cause severe muscle pain, fever, soreness, and nausea. And in extreme cases, a sting can cause numbness, drooling, or pulmonary edema.
If you live in the Oklahoma City area, you need to know how to keep scorpions out of your home and away from your property.
How To Keep Scorpions Away In Two Steps
Keeping scorpions away from your property is essential if you want to limit the possibility of coming into contact with one. To do this, utilize the two steps listed below.
Step One: Yard Maintenance
- Remove harborage areas in your yard by removing leaf and woodpiles, tree stumps, large rocks, and other unneeded debris.
- Remove excess foliage around your property by trimming trees and shrubbery, keeping the grass cut short, and maintaining gardens.
Step Two: Prey And Predators
- Bark scorpions eat other insects, spiders, and even other scorpions. Deterring other critters from your yard by eliminating potential food and water sources, keeping your yard clean, and making garbage inaccessible can help keep scorpions away.
- You can also allow predators such as birds and bats to frequent your property, but keep in mind; these animals come with their own problems.
How To Keep Scorpions Out In Two Steps
The only thing worse than scorpions in your yard is scorpions in your house. If they get into your home, there is more of a chance that you will be stung as they are likely to hide in unsuspecting places that you might disturb by accident. To keep this from happening, seal all entry points because:
- Scorpions can get inside through gaps around utilities and plumbing lines, under door gaps, and cracks in the foundation. You should fill in these gaps and cracks. Make sure to keep doors and ground-level windows closed when possible.
- Scorpions commonly get in through drains and pipes as they are attracted to moisture. Although it might be challenging to control them from getting in this way, you should make sure that your home doesn’t have underlying moisture issues, especially in dark places like the garage, basement, and crawl space.
If you are still worried about scorpions after implementing the tips listed above, or you just want extra assistance, you should utilize this final and best tip: contact the professionals. As much as you can do, it just won’t compare to what experts can do against this dangerous critter.
How Professions Can Help With Scorpions
The most effective tip to keep scorpions away is to receive ongoing professional pest control assistance. Guaranteed Pest Services of Oklahoma can keep you and your family safe from this dangerous pest. You can’t go wrong with our experienced and knowledgeable technicians on your side. Don’t wait; call us at Guaranteed Pest Services of Oklahoma today to learn more about how we can help you and request your free inspection!