How to Tell if You Have a Termite Infestation in Oklahoma City
November 30, 2021
Termite infestations can be hard to spot until it is too late and your home runs the risk of major damage. Understanding the dangers and signs of termites can help you prevent a problem before it becomes serious.
Damage Termites Can Bring
Termites are a small, pale insect that has a uniformly oval body and six legs. They can be incredibly troublesome to encounter in your home or business as they are often so small that they go unnoticed until it is too late. However, despite their small size, termites can cause an extreme amount of damage to property owners.
This insect is adept at chewing its way through wood, plaster, and metal. They often get into the structural support areas of your home and leave the wood hollow with their constant chewing, something that is both dangerous and costly to repair. They may also chew their way through furniture, cabinets, ceilings, or floors in your home.
Because this pest is so small and is prone to burrowing deep into the structure of a house, it is difficult for property owners to detect them at first, and it makes them hard to remove without expert help fully. Most individuals only discover a termite problem when significant damage has been done, which is why it is so important to be on the lookout for early warning signs and to invest in annual professional inspections – the professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma can help with this.
Termite Signs to Look Out For
There are several termite warning signs that you should look out for in your Oklahoma City home to catch an infestation before it becomes serious:
- Frass refers to the droppings that termites kick out behind them as they tunnel through wood or other materials. They can range in color depending on the wood termites are eating and are typically small and six-sided. Finding piles of frass around your home is a major indicator that you have a termite problem.
- Tight-fitting doors and windows are essential in keeping termites out of your home in the first place. Sealing up all potential entry points and ensuring no gaps in your home’s foundation will go a long way to prevent termite problems.
- Swarmers are matured winged termites that leave the nest during the morning or afternoon; spotting swarmers or shed wings around your property is a serious warning sign of an imminent termite infestation.
- Termite mud tubes are built as bridges between the termite colony and other areas. If you find these on your property or around areas in your home, it is a pretty strong sign that you have termites tunneling around.
- If you start to hear a chewing or rustling sound in your walls, it can indicate that you have a termite problem. However, most homeowners don’t hear this noise until the termite infestation has spread and serious damage is caused.
Efficient Termite Removal
Termites are a small yet troublesome pest and can be difficult to both detect or remove. If you do see signs of termites around your home, don’t waste time and money trying to treat the problem yourself – call the professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma right away. The experts can eliminate the source of your termite problems and leave your home pest-free utilizing safe and pet-friendly applications.