Oklahoma City's Complete Guide To Effective Cricket Control
September 24, 2021
In some cultures, crickets are considered a delicacy and can even be enjoyed covered in chocolate. But in Oklahoma City, people don't share that same point of view and instead see these insects as pests.
A common species is the house cricket and can be identified by:
- Coloring: yellowish-brown with three dark bands on their head
- Size: 12-22 mm long
- Legs: six
- Wings but they rarely fly
You are probably familiar with the iconic chirping noise that crickets make. This sound is made by rubbing their wings together and is also called singing. Because people are so used to crickets and their noises, we don't think much of them. If asked, "are crickets dangerous," most people would say no. But the truth is they can be.
If you live in Oklahoma City, you should know that crickets aren't just annoying sometimes; they can be dangerous too, and find out how you can keep them from getting into your home.
How Dangerous Are Crickets?
People usually see crickets as a nuisance rather than destructive or dangerous. And for the most part, this is true. But here are some ways crickets can be a problem:
- Crickets eat organic material and feed on things in your home made of wool, cotton, linen, and silk, chewing holes in furniture and clothing. Dealing with damaged belongings is frustrating, stressful, and can end up costing you money as well.
- Although crickets can bite, they rarely do. And when they do, they are not able to break through the skin. However, they can still transfer parasites like E. Coli and salmonella through their saliva and feces. Contact with feces can also cause you to develop painful sores and rashes.
- Even though chirping can be slightly annoying to some, but for others, it can keep them up at night, causing them to lose sleep. And lack of sleep can lead to other health problems.
To keep any of this from happening, you should understand what factors attract crickets to your home and how to eliminate them, effectively keeping this pest away.
What Attracts Crickets To A Home?
Understanding what attracts crickets to a home can help keep them from coming into your home. To keep this pest from becoming a problem on your property, try these tips:
- Seal Entry Points: Crickets can get in through open doors and windows, gaps and holes in the foundation and siding, and spaces around door and window frames.
- Adjust Lighting: These pests are nocturnal and are attracted to bright lights, so you should dim or turn them off outdoor lights at night.
- Address Moisture Issues: Crickets prefer cool, dark, and damp places, which basements, crawl spaces, and garages can provide. Make sure you have adequate ventilation in these areas as well.
- Utilize Proper Landscaping: Maintaining your yard is a good way to deter most pests, including crickets.
- Vacuum Regularly: This will help remove any eggs inside your home
Although people might see a cricket inside of a house as lucky in some places, Oklahoma City residents probably don't think the same. If you are still dealing with crickets after implementing the tips above or just want extra assistance, you should turn to experts for help.
Who To Call About A Cricket Problem?
For more advice or assistance, with home pest control contact the professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma. Our trained technicians have over 45 years of combined experience and knowledge needed to keep crickets away from your property. Call today for a free inspection and estimate and to learn more about what we can do for you when it comes to pests in your Oklahoma City home.