The Best Way To Protect Your Oklahoma City Home From Termites
December 10, 2021
How hungry would you have to be to eat a block of wood? Most people would never eat wood. It just isn’t something that the human body gets nutrients out of. Do you know what creature does get nutrients out of wood? The termite. This invasive area pest loves to chew its way into homes. If you want to keep termites out of your walls, here are some things you should know and ways you can protect your Oklahoma City home from termites.
Signs Of Termites
Before we get into protecting your home against active termites, let’s first make sure your property does not already have an infestation. To help you with this, here are five signs of termites to check around for:
- Mud tubes crawling up your exterior foundation
- Visible moisture damage inside of your home, coming from foundational wood
- Tight-fitting doors and windows
- Overly squeaky floorboards
- Flying termites (swarmers) buzzing around inside your living areas
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Termite Treatment Options
If you are looking for a termite repellant or strategy to keep termites away, we have some good and bad news for you. The good news is that there are many natural ways to deter termites from your property. The bad news is that store-bought termite repellant is far less effective than professional treatments. Keeping this in mind, here are some natural ways to deter these pests from chewing into your Oklahoma City home:
- Address moisture problems in and around your home.
- Repair and replace wood that is water damaged, rotting, or in decay.
- Store firewood and untreated lumber at least 30 feet from your homes’ exterior.
- Fill in gaps, holes, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation using a caulking gun.
- Remove sticks, leaves, and other organic debris from your property.
- Pull up dead stumps and remove fallen trees from your yard.
- Pick up wood-based trash around your property like cardboard and newspaper.
- Do not use wood-based mulch around your home’s exterior.
- Trim back bushes and branches to create a five-foot dry zone around your home’s exterior.
How Fast Termites Destroy Homes
Something you should know about termites is that they do not destroy homes in a week. They can’t even severely damage property in a month. On average, it takes several months, if not years, for notable damage to be done. Keeping this in mind, termites are silent destroyers. Often it takes homeowners months even to suspect there is a problem. The only way to make sure your home does not currently have an issue and will not have an issue in the future is to invest in professional termite control.
Why You Should Invest In Professional Termite Control
It is not wise to wait for signs of termites to deal with these pests. Your best option is to invest in preemptive termite control to make sure termites eat things around your property but not your home’s wood. If you want to know if your home has a problem or figure out what treatments will look like for you, let our team come out and have a look.
At Guaranteed Pest Services of Oklahoma, we offer detailed termite control options to identify, eliminate, and prevent these destructive little insects. We will assign one of our friendly and highly-trained technicians to your case, and they will provide you with all of the information and protection you need.
Contact our team today to learn more about our termite treatment options and find a time to have your Oklahoma City property thoroughly inspected for termites. We will make sure you get the care you deserve.