What to Do About Roof Rats in Oklahoma City
November 15, 2021
Roof rats are a widespread pest in the Oklahoma City area, but this doesn’t make them less troublesome. Make sure to follow these prevention tips to deter roof rats from entering your property in the first place.
Understanding Roof Rats
One of the two major rodent species you will find around your Oklahoma City home, the roof rat is smaller than its counterpart, the Norway rat. Roof rats are sometimes referred to as black rats or ship rats; they have a mixed brown and black coat with a grey, white, or black underside. Most roof rats grow to an average of 16 inches long, including their tail length. True to their name, roof rats prefer to live in elevated areas in your home, such as an attic, which is different from other rodent species that prefer burrows or lower areas.
Like many other rodents, roof rats present a significant danger to your home. They can cause extreme destruction thanks to their abilities to chew through materials such as electrical wires, plumbing, wood, brick, and cinder block, among other items, and may leave claw or scratch marks all over your home.
Another more serious danger of having roof rats on your property is their ability to spread disease. This rodent can pass along leptospirosis, salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, toxoplasmosis, and trichinosis, plus introduce parasites such as fleas, ticks, and mites into your home. And, credit to their supreme climbing abilities, they can be tough to prevent and fully eradicate from your property.
Roof Rat Prevention Tips
There are several tips that you can follow to prevent roof rats from entering your home in the first place:
- Invest in chimney caps for your home. Because roof rats are such supreme climbers, they can easily reach the roof and enter your home via the chimney. A chimney cap will cut off a major rodent entry point.
- Keep all food and trash secured stored. This means keeping tight seals on trash cans, especially outside, and storing leftover food correctly, so the aroma doesn’t attract rats. You may also want to keep pet food sealed properly indoors and refrain from leaving dirty dishes out.
- Seal up gaps and cracks around your home on windows, doors, roofs, and foundations. Rats can enter your home through tiny holes (sometimes as small as a quarter), so be sure to make this process thorough. You may also want to use a rat-proof material to do the sealing, such as hard cement or metal.
- Eliminate any sources of water or moisture that are either inside or outside of your home as these attract roof rats. Ensure to fix leaks, clear out gutters, and ensure your home has proper ventilation to keep things as inhospitable to rats as possible.
- Clear out clutter and debris around your home and yard as frequently as possible. Debris in your yards, such as fallen fruit and organic materials, may attract roof rats looking for food, and clutter in attics or other hidden areas provides a prime hiding spot for this rodent.
Professional Roof Rat Removal
Once a roof rat infestation has started, it can be near impossible to remove by yourself fully. At Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma, we utilize pest control methods such as baits, granules, and kid and pet-friendly applications. Contact us today for advice and assistance in eradicating roof rats from your home and property.