What to Do if You’re Stung by a Wasp in Oklahoma City
November 26, 2021
Wasps in the Oklahoma City area can be dangerous, especially if you are caught off guard and stung by one. Proactive prevention and understanding the area wasps are essential to avoid negative encounters.
The Dangers of Area Wasps
There are several different types of wasps in the Oklahoma City area that you should be on the lookout for. The sting that wasps deliver can be quite painful and sometimes medically dangerous, especially if you have a history of allergic reactions to insect stings. When it comes to keeping any of these wasps away from you, proactive prevention is the best approach.
- Yellow Jackets: Marked with a distinctive black and yellow pattern, yellow jackets will typically only sting if they feel their nest is being threatened. Their nests are often found near the ground or on a home’s foundation.
- Paper Wasps: Brownish in color with yellow or red markings, paper wasps, are highly aggressive and will sting if they or their nests are disturbed. Their nests are typically built up high and will hang in an umbrella shape.
- Mahogany Wasps: With a brownish-red color, mahogany wasps are not naturally aggressive but will sting when threatened. They prefer to create hanging nests.
- Bald-Faced Hornets: Black in color and with a bright face, bald-faced hornets are also quite aggressive and will attack anyone unsuspecting that moves near them. They prefer aerial nests that may be quite large.
- Red Wasps: Bright red in color, red wasps typically won’t sting unless they, or their nest, are being directly threatened. They are quite similar to mahogany wasps.
Understanding Wasp Prevention
Wasp prevention is the best way to avoid negative wasp encounters. If you are stung by a wasp and have a history of anaphylaxis caused by bug stings, you should seek medical attention immediately. For more mild stings, wash the area with soap and cold water. You can then apply a cold pack to it to keep the swelling and pain down.
In your yard, certain types of plants, such as blue, white, and yellow flowers, can attract wasps, as can sugary drinks and food that are left outside. Fallen organic debris (like apples) may also attract wasps, as will overhangs for them to build their nests from.
To help eliminate wasps from your yard, you can follow these wasp prevention tips:
- Trim back trees and large branches, especially ones that hang over your home. This will prevent wasps from building their nests on overhanging branches.
- Remove bright-colored flowers from your yard and plant warm-colored flowers or flowers that only open at night instead. Wasps are less attracted to these plant types.
- Keep your yard clear of debris, especially organic debris like fallen fruit. The aroma from the fruit as it decays will attract wasps to your property.
- Make sure that any food you bring outside remains covered. This is very helpful for sugary food and drink, as wasps love these the most. You may also want to ensure that outdoor trash and food storage is properly sealed to prevent the aroma from bringing wasps near your home.
- Fill any holes on your property to remove places that ground-nesting wasps, such as yellow jackets, can live in.
Safe Wasp Removal
An existing wasp problem around your home or property is not something you should attempt to take care of on your own. Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma has the knowledge and experience to efficiently and safely remove wasps from your residence. Call today to review the residential pest plan packages and applications.