Why Ants Invade Oklahoma City Homes & How To Keep Them Out
April 7, 2021
Ants are social insects of the Formicidae family that exist throughout the world in more than 10,000 different species. Here, they are most problematic during the spring and summer months, working together in large colonies. Ants will leave the nest and enter homes searching for food or shelter if accessible. Ants develop through a process that begins as an egg and then matures through larvae and pupae stages before adulthood. The cycle of development into an adult may range from a few weeks to several months, depending on the species. Adult colony members assume different roles based on gender and reproductive capabilities.
Most Common Ants Found In Oklahoma City
- Carpenter ants: They appear in colors including red, black, or brown and develop massive worker colonies. They form nests by burrowing (tunneling) deep into wooden structures, creating costly property damage similar to termites.
- Odorous house ants: Among the most commonly found indoors, odorous house ants are tiny with a brown or black color. They are known for emitting a foul odor when crushed that is often described as rotten coconut.
- Acrobat ants: They are small, have a brown or black appearance, and have a distinctive marking that resembles a heart. Acrobat ants can sting and may pose health risks to those with an allergy.
- Fire ants: These have a reddish-brown color, and they often build large outdoor mounts in the soil near homes. Fire ants tend to be aggressive and deliver a nasty painful sting that can require medical attention.
- Pharaoh ants: The Pharaoh ant has a yellow or gold body with red and black markings. They rarely exceed 1/8 of an inch, which allows them to enter homes through very tiny openings.
Why Do Ants Move Indoors?
If ants locate a source of food in your home, they generate a trail of chemicals (pheromones) that act as a signal or means of communication to others. For this reason, a significant number of ants will quickly invade areas containing crumbs or food scraps, incredibly when sweet, starchy, or fatty foods are involved.
Regular cleaning of floors and countertops is essential. Place all leftover food in sealed containers. Avoid leaving dirty dishes or uneaten pet food out overnight, and keep a tight lid on your kitchen garbage can.
Best Practices For Preventing Ant Entry
Aside from limiting factors that attract ants, it is also critical to reduce possible entry points inside. Examples include installing door sweeps, repairing screens, and filling gaps, cracks, or holes in the foundation.
Contacting A Pest Extermination Professional
Once they infiltrate your home, ants and other types of troublesome pests will quickly create a massive infestation. Many of those who try do-it-yourself measures spend more money in the long run after the pest problem has further developed. Avoid store-bought treatment options or fabled home remedies, as they generally are ineffective and may pose potential risks to human health.
The Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry requires professional pest controllers to be adequately certified. A licensed provider will ensure the safety of you and your family.
Leading Pest Control Company In Oklahoma City
Since 1991, the certified team of extermination professionals at the Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma has delivered incredible results for customers in this region. We have the expertise to fully eradicate infestations involving ants, bed bugs, termites, and a host of other bothersome and potentially harmful pests from your home or business.
Our management team is committed to the overall safety and protection of our customers and the local environment. As our name implies, we also stand behind our work’s quality with a guarantee that will ensure your total satisfaction. Please contact us today for an inspection and on-site estimate.