What Every Oklahoma City Homeowner Should Know About Bark Scorpions
November 19, 2021
Bark scorpions can be a commonly seen pest on your Oklahoma City property, and while most are harmless, stings from this arachnid may sometimes be medically dangerous. Proactive scorpion prevention is the best way to prevent negative encounters.
Understanding Bark Scorpions
In Oklahoma City, there is one main type of scorpion that you will need to keep an eye out for – the brown bark scorpion. This scorpion is slightly smaller than other scorpion species and has a thinner tail and pincers. The color of the bark scorpion ranges from tannish to brown color, and they typically won’t grow larger than about three inches in length.
When scorpions invade your home or property, they can bring with them a major risk of being stung. Most scorpion stings are painful but not life-threatening occurrences. However, you should always seek medical attention after a sting has been received; common scorpion sting symptoms include pain, tingling, numbness, convulsions, vomiting, or nausea.
If you have other allergies to insect or arachnid stings and start to experience the symptoms of anaphylaxis after a scorpion sting, you should also seek medical attention immediately.
Scorpion Prevention Tips
You can employ these scorpion prevention tips on your Oklahoma City property in order to deter this pest from entering your home in the first place:
- Clear the yard of debris and other harborage points such as long grass, large rocks, tree stumps, and leaf piles. This will prevent the scorpions from finding hiding places around your home. You may also want to put a stone barrier between your home’s foundation and areas of soil, as this will deter them from moving into your home.
- Scorpions will often enter a home in search of prey – this will usually be insects such as cockroaches, spiders, and other scorpions. To prevent scorpions from entering your property, take care of pest prey species and stop them from infesting your home. The professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma can help with this.
- Ensure that all entry points around your home are identified and properly sealed. This means inspecting your home’s windows, doors, and foundation from any cracks or gaps. Remember to be thorough, as scorpions can enter through a fairly small area. You may also want to replace window and door screens or worn-out weather stripping.
- Scorpions may be attracted to your home due to moisture areas either inside or outside of the house. Make sure to fix any leaks around your property or in your home and ensure that there is proper ventilation in all areas of your home. You can also invest in a dehumidifier to help decrease moisture build-up around certain areas of your home.
- Keep clutter around your home to a minimum, especially in basements, cabinets, crawl spaces, and closets, as scorpions prefer to hide in cooler, dark areas. When cleaning out these areas, make sure to use gloves and approach areas of clutter slowly in case scorpions are already hiding in them.
Professional Scorpion Removal
Once scorpions enter your Oklahoma City home, they can pose a serious threat of sting to you, your family, or your pets. Contact the experts at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma for more advice or assistance in dealing with any scorpion – or pest prey – problem on your property. We have decades of experience combined with flexible service and appointment times. Call us today for your free inspection.