What to Do About Spider Webs on My Oklahoma City Property
November 22, 2021
Encountering spider webs on your Oklahoma City property can only mean that multiple spiders are hanging out around your home and yard. You can utilize spider prevention tips and expert assistance from Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma to eliminate any spider problems you may encounter.
Common Oklahoma City Spiders
There are several common area spiders in Oklahoma City that you should keep an eye out for. It is important to note that each of these spiders builds and uses its web differently, so if you see many different spider webs, you most likely have a large spider problem.
- Orb Weavers: Orb weavers range in appearance and are known for making large, circular webs. They will often update their webs daily and use them to catch food.
- Jumping Spiders: Jumping spiders are smaller in size and come in a range of colors. They spin silky webs to live in and for protection, choosing to hunt their prey at night instead.
- Oklahoma Brown Tarantula: A fairly large spider, the Oklahoma brown tarantula prefers living in burrows or tall grass. They spin a thicker webbing to line their shelters and detect passing predators.
- Brown Recluse: A medically dangerous spider, Brown recluses have a dark violin-shaped mark on their back. They spin thinner webs that are off-white in color and use their web as shelter.
- Black Widow: Another highly dangerous spider, black widows have a shiny black body and a red hourglass marking on their chest. They spin webs that are sticky and dense, preferring to keep low to the ground. The web provides shelter and catches prey for the spider.
Spider Prevention Tips
You can follow these spider prevention tips to keep this pest and their webs off your Oklahoma City property:
- Debwebbing your home is a great way to deal with spiders and spider webs. This activity involves dusting or sweeping away at all spider webs around your property. Make sure to check behind and underneath appliances and in secluded areas, as total web elimination will help to stop the spiders from returning.
- Hosting other pests in your home, such as ants, mosquitos, and cockroaches, are majorly attracting spiders. You should address these pest issues with the help of Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma to fully remove any spider-attracting insect prey from your property.
- Ensure that all potential entry points around your home are fully sealed to stop spiders from entering in the first place. This means checking all doors, windows, and the foundation for gaps and cracks. You should also replace window or door screening and damaged weather stripping.
- Keep both your home and your yard decluttered. Removing tall grass and hiding places both inside and outside of your property will reduce available spider hiding spots and help you remove more spider webs as you come across them. You should also store all firewood at least 10 feet away from your home, which will deter black widows from moving inside.
Spider Removal Assistance
Finding several spider webs around your home can only mean that a larger spider infestation is underway, regardless if you actually see the spiders or not. For help removing any spider problem you have, contact the professionals at Guaranteed Pest Service of Oklahoma for more advice or assistance. We have the knowledge and experience to eliminate this pest from your home efficiently. Call us today!